Sunday, April 18, 2010

Granny Squares


A friend of mine asked me to teach her how to knit and crochet. Knitting was easy I started her off with a basic knit, but with crocheting there are so many ways you can start: straight stitches (single, double, treble), circular, squares, etc. So I helped her set up an account on Ravelry to look for a pattern. She choose to do granny square afghan for her husband.
I used three colors I had in my stash to teach her how and then liked the color combo I had picked for mine I decided to do a light weight coverlet for my bed for summer. Now I have my room done in greens (and have the yarn for it) but haven't found a pattern I want to do for this room yet, so this one is on the bed for now.
The only thing I don't like about doing granny squares is making them all and then having to sew them all together. I joined (crocheted) them together as I went. Attic24 has a good tutorial for this method.

Hook used: US I (5.5mm)

Yarn used: Bernat Super Value Solids
07551 Pale Antique Rose
07636 Burgundy
53022 Dark Heather

This pattern is a classic granny square and the pattern can be found here.

No comments: